Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thievery

This morning I woke up to an URGENT: Kresge Security Alert email about people stealing other people's things out of apartments at Kresge and various other residence halls. And I quote, "It
appears that the thief (or thieves) gained entry through unsecured
windows or doors. In one report, the thief entered while students were
in another room within an apartment."
My roommates don't care to keep our door locked because they don't want to put forth the effort of getting their keys out. Do you see the conflict there?
I really like my stuff. Like I really like it. Even though it might not be worth a lot, or anything at all, but I really like it. I don't want my stuff stolen. I get bitched at for locking the door when I leave because "we know all the people in our apartment and we'd be able to tell if they had our things." Yeah, what about the people we DON'T KNOW in our apartment? Like friends or whatever. Last night, I went out of my room to a living room filled with noisy people that I've never seen before. What about them?
Call me paranoid, but I don't trust anyone. I don't trust people with my deep thoughts, emotions, so why would I trust people with all of my belongings? I can't even bring myself to tell people why I'm upset or whatever. I would love to keep my door unlocked and think that everyone is good and pure, that if I leave a hundred dollars sitting on top of my desk, it will still be there when I return. Unfortunately, society has progressed away from those days where it was somewhat okay to do that, and okay to leave your door open whether or not I was in the room/apartment.

In case you couldn't tell from the nature of the last two posts and this one, yes, I am having roommate issues.

No comments: